Loan Application Checklist

In general, you will be required to provide supporting documentation when you make an application for a home loan. Here is a list of what your lender will most likely require: 

1. Check for application fee (if applicable)

2. Property Information: (if you already have a contract on a house)  

  • Purchase Agreement. 
  • Copy of legal description and MLS sheet.  
  • If you are selling your current home, copy of listing contract. 
  • If you have sold your current home, copy of settlement statement (HUD-1).

3. Income & Assets:

  • Pay stubs for the last 30 days. 
  • Federal & State (if applicable) tax returns for the past two years
  • Names and addresses of each employer.
  • W-2s or 1099 Statements
  • Statements for each bank, mutual fund, and/or investment account for the last three months. 
  • Estimated value of personal property and furniture.

If you have made any large deposits to your accounts:   

  • Explanation and source for deposit. 

If large deposit was a gift: 

  • Signed gift letter (lender can supply). 
  • Copy of gift check. 
  • Copy of deposit receipt.

If you own more than 25% of a business: 

  • Corporate or partnership tax returns.

If self-employed:

  • Tax returns for the last three years (with schedules). 
  • Year-to-Date Profit and Loss Statement prepared by an accountant.

If you own rental property: 

  • Tax returns for the last two years and current rental agreements.

If you are retired: 

  • Pension Award Letter. 

If you receive Social Security: 

  • Social Security Award Letter.

If you are counting child support as income: 

  • Copy of divorce settlement. 
  • Copy of twelve months of cancelled child support checks.


  • Names, addresses, account numbers, balances and monthly payments on all current loans.  
  • Explanation of credit report anomalies, including: 
  • Late payments, credit inquiries in the last 90 days, charge-offs, collections, judgments and/or liens. 
  • Bankruptcy filed within last seven years (bring a copy of your bankruptcy papers).

VA Loans:

  • Copy of DD Form 214, Report of Separation.


  • Copy of your Driver's License or Photo ID and proof of Social Security number. 
  • Residence addresses for the past two years.  
  • If applicable, a copy of your divorce decree and/or marital settlement agreement.  
  • If you are not a citizen, a copy of the front and back of your Green Card.

If you should need assistance or have any additional questions, please contact Joe Bornstein, 877-333-2811 or