Spring has sprung! After the dark, short days of winter, the warmer temperatures and sunshine are exciting. Now is the time to de-clutter the mess that accumulated during the long, cold winter.
1. Pick one room at a time. It is satisfying to see progress rather than doing a little bit in one room and then a little bit in another room and never really getting any one room completed. If the room is large, divide the room into manageable areas.
2. Work from inside to outside and from top to bottom so you aren’t getting the clean area dirty again.
3. Clean ceiling fans: use a pillowcase to cover a blade, wipe and pull pillowcase across blade, dust drops into pillowcase. Easy!
4. Clean blinds. Dip an old (clean!) sock or microfiber cloth in cleaning solution of equal parts water and white vinegar and wring it until very slightly damp. Use a dryer sheet to prevent the build up of dust. Fabric blinds can be cleaned using a vacuum attachment. Heavily stained fabric blinds may need to be professionally cleaned. (Don’t clean blinds in the bathtub. It will work for the slats, but there is a risk of rusting the blind mechanism.) Wooden blinds should be treated like wood furniture.
5. Tackle the closet. Toss or donate old clothes not worn anymore. Find an organization system that works for you, categorize by: color, clothing type or how you dress in the morning.
6. Totally clean the refrigerator and freezer. Wipe down shelves with warm water and dish washing liquid.
7. Hire someone to steam clean carpets or rent a steam cleaner and do it yourself.
8. Wash windows. For a streak-free clean, wash when the sun isn’t shining directly on the window.
9. Dust/clean baseboards and corners of ceilings.
10. Rotate and flip mattress. Sprinkle some baking soda on the mattress and leave for at least 30 minutes, then vacuum using an upholstery attachment.
11. Hire chimney sweep to clean out the chimney.
12. Change batteries in smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
13. Vinegar cleans just about everything (just don’t use on marble or granite countertops or hard wood – the acidity can be damaging). Combine equal parts of water and vinegar and add essential oils, fruit peels or herbs:
a. Add a few pieces of lemon rind for a fresh scent. Also, the acidity of the lemon adds extra cleaning power for stubborn stains.
b. Peppermint oil: add two or three drops along with an orange rind to create an energizing scent.
c. Eucalyptus – add a few sprigs along with a few drops of tea tree oil for odor absorbing power.
14. Call favorite restaurant for take-out delivery! Relax - your house looks great!
Presented by Joe Bornstein, Broker, Rock Springs Realty, Apopka, FL, Cell # (407) 252-8092, Joe@rockspringsrealty.com, www.rockspringsrealty.com. If you are considering selling your home in Apopka, Orlando, or anywhere in Central Florida, feel free to call me for a no-cost consultation on how to maximize your sale price. Are you curious to your home's value? Follow this link to get an instant home value report: https://www.rockspringsrealty.com/cma/property-valuation/